Followers

Monday 29 October 2012

Ad Buster Reflection

Technical
For this assignment I used many different techniques.  One new technique that I used was the liquify tool.  I used this tool to make the logo on the can into a foetus.  I also used a tool under liquify to make the label more rounded so that it would wrap around the can.  I also used urbanfonts.com to find a font that matched the font on the Pepsi can, to be able to change to the flavours and add the text on the can.

Idea/Concept
My idea for this assignment was to show that PepsiCo was using foetal cells in their new drinks.  The idea that I eventually used was to modify the Pepsi Next advertisement into showing that the new drinks are made using foetal cells.  I did this by changing the new flavour names into names related to babies and foetal cells.  My idea did  develop a little bit, but not drastically.  My idea was to always show that PepsiCo was using foetal cells in their drinks.  However I did change the original as that I was using, from the "Some things were just born to be" advertisement to the Pepsi next advertisement.


Influences
For this assignment my influences were ad busters, and the pro-life vs. pro-choice debate that Mr. Smith and Fr. Jason had.  Ad busters influenced my piece because I was able to use some of the techniques used in those ads in my own.  The debate influenced me because I had other possibilities for this assignment, but after the debate I really wanted to do something related to abortion, so I chose the PepsiCo scandal. 

Composition
For my piece I balance everything asymmetrically.  The eye moves around the image since the most emphasis is placed on the pop can to the right of the image, but the eye still moves around to the pop cans in the background.  This emphasis helps each individual piece because the viewer focuses on one piece enough to understand what it is showing, and then it can do the same for all the pieces.  This also works for the image as a whole because the viewers are not just looking at one part of it, they are looking at the whole image.

Motivation
For this assignment I was motivated to show what PepsiCo was doing with the foetal cells.  This motivated me because I thought that it was absolutely disgusting and wrong that PespiCo was the flavor enhancement testing with foetal cells.

Critical AssessmentI feel that the most interesting aspect of my piece was the change of the Pepsi logo into a child in the womb.  I think this really pushed it over the edge to make the viewer see what Pepsi was doing.  The logo was also the part of this piece that surprised me.  I was very surprised at how much this really put the piece over the top and finalised what I was really trying to show.  With more time I don't think there is anything that I would change, I am very happy with the way that this piece turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment